The first step to walking is to take a first step. The first step to running is to take a first step. Perhaps that’s why they call it a first step…
It’s October 1st!
And I’m writing the first blog post for my Scotland blog!
In other news, I’m in a bit of a celebratory mood.
Sparkling apple cider, anyone?
Since this is the beginning of an entire blog, and since I do tend to get carried away and forget that I’ve forgotten to mention things, I think it would be wise to start by briefing you quickly on the situation. This’ll only take a minute, I promise.
- In August of 2014, I began my freshman year at Hardin-Simmons University, pursuing a major in Theatre. Within the first several days of school, I attended a departmental meeting where I found out that the theatre department was bound for Scotland in August of 2016. I was ecstatic, and spend a good few days wildly daydreaming about how amazing it would be to go to Scotland with this awesome group of people.
- In August of 2015, I returned to HSU to begin my sophomore year of college. The first day of school brought another departmental meeting, and Scotland was again mentioned. Not in passing, but in great detail, reawakening a sense of awesome wonder. Scotland as a theatre group…largest theatre festival in the world…wow…
- During the first week of September, auditions were held for The Shadow Box: the play that we would be taking to Scotland. I only read once during the audition, and I left the stage cringing. I felt like I had just wasted two hours of my life with a horrid audition.
- During the second (I think?) week of September, the cast list went up and I still can’t quite believe that my name was on it. I am so beyond honored to be cast in the role of Agnes in The Shadow Box. (Unless I’m dreaming, which I still half wonder. Don’t wake me up.)
- Today I am beginning a blog to try to convince myself that this is all real and to keep people up to speed on what I’m up to and how I’m trying to raise a bajillion dollars to cover expenses. (Get used to me exaggerating. It’s kind of my thing.)
So there you have it: a quick summation of why we’re both here. Actually, that’s really just why I’m here. I don’t know why you’re here. I hope it’s because you care about me or because you have a bajillion dollars that you’re just dying to give away to a sweet college student.
(If you’re the second of those two, the link to my GoFundMe is at the bottom of this page.)
October’s fundraising initiative involves paint.
And 8oz canvas.
And lovely things.
Last summer, my sister and I spent a decent amount of time painting some awesome art for our friends. The paintings turned out really well (we both ended up somewhat giddy after each piece) and we were super excited to give them to our friends. Now, I am super excited to give a painting to you! When you buy it… I am super excited for you to buy a painting from me. So yeah.
Here is a picture of us making beautiful things:
And here are some of the beautiful things we made:
You know you really want something like this for yourself.
You really, really do.
So here are prices:
“The Baby” – 8” x 12” – $8
“The Poster” – 24” x 36” – $20
“The Major Commitment” – 36” x 48” – $35
I can work with a variety of designs (silhouettes and solid colors are best), and custom canvas sizes are available.
So let me know!
Because I really do love painting. And these things really are awesome. (I almost didn’t give the Pirates of the Caribbean one away. Even though I made it for someone. Because I absolutely adored it. Just saying.)
Okay. So that’s who I am. And that’s the rundown my October Fundraiser. I think that’s all.
Anything else you want to know will simply have to be asked.